Monday, September 26, 2011

Song of Eidolons: the Origin

Song of Eidolons was born of my childhood love for legends, fairy tales, fables, and other stories  that stretched my imagination beyond the suburbs. I graduated from Grimm Academy with honors, which mostly consisted of a twisted sense of humor and a penchant for deliciously dark fiction. My first foray into the territory of legends was my Arthurian novel, Camelot Lost, but Song of Eidolons really submerged me in all things legendary. I'd written a  handful of  novels before, so I didn't have the “second novel dread”, but it kind of felt like it. Camelot Lost was the first book I wrote after meeting the man who would become my husband. After meeting him, it felt like a new world. I was a new person, even a new writer, and I wanted the follow-up to Camelot Lost to be even more fantastic.
             I was always a fan of the “big” legends: King Arthur, Atlantis, Robin Hood, etc...but there was one I stumbled across in research that I hadn't heard much about before: Fionn MacCool. (Also known as Fionn mac Cumhaill or Finn McCool) The hero of an Irish myth, Fionn lived in an enchanted forest, defeated a fire-breathing fairy during Samhain, and fell in love with a woman who'd been turned into a deer by an evil sorcerer. Pretty much your typical badass legend. I was instantly enamored of the chap and started doing heavy research on him---for about two days. That's when I realized I didn't want to rewrite another legend. I loved putting my own spin on King Arthur, but I didn't want to get pigeonholed as the author that just rewrites legends. I wanted to create my own.
            That day, Delaney Lortal was born.......

TO READ THE REST OF THE POST, HEAD OVER TO KATIE SALIDAS' WRITTEN IN BLOOD BLOG: http://www.katiesalidas.com/2011/09/jessica-mchughs-song-of-eidolons.html

No comments:

Post a Comment