Tuesday, April 3, 2012

An Apology (from "Darla Decker") #NaPoWriMo 3

An Apology 
by: Darla Decker
(from "Darla Decker Hates to Wait" by Jessica McHugh)

Breaking the rules is awfully fun
If you don't care about the damage done.
I didn't much, but now I do
When seeing what it did to you.
What I did and what I said
Have been weighing heavy on my head,
But that heavy pain can't compare
To your heart and the hurt I delivered there.
"Sorry" isn't big enough a word
To overcome the ones you heard
When I lashed out, when I yelled
Over "Rudolph", "Frosty", and "Jingle Bells".
It shouldn't have happened in that way,
And not around the holiday.
So please forgive me, and if you do,
I promise to be kind to you.
Well, as kind as a pre-teen girl can be
To someone in authority.
But most of all, I want you to know:
Merry Christmas, Mom, I love you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment